Tacoma: Washington's Hidden Gem



Tacoma is Seattle's gritty cousin to the south. Over the past 10 years the city has undergone a major transformation and is well worth a visit for both locals and those visiting the NW. My husband Patrick is from Tacoma and we spend quite a bit of time down there and over the years I've grown very fond of the "City of Destiny."  Check out some of my must-see highlights below:
Jog or Walk the five mile loop at Chamber's Bay Golf Course (home of the 2015 US Open!). This place has a Scotland look and it's also a great workout with lots of hills.
Have a drink at 1022 Restaurant/Bar. This fabulous tiny bar on the hilltop in Tacoma was recently written up in the NY Times. Their custom cocktails are unique and interesting. I especially love the lavender coconut concoction.
Stroll the Waterfront in Old Town and stop off for some great afternoon seafood at Katie Downs or the Spar.
Check out the beautiful Dale Chihuly designs at the Museum of Glass and catch dinner downtown at the Pacific Grill or Indochine
Grab a latte at Satellite Coffee (their motto is Coffee in Tacoma that Doesn't Suck, ha) and enjoy the gardens at Wright Park.


Tacoma friends, what am I missing?


(photos viaWA Golf Guide, Patrick, Katy Downs, Vacation GalsFlickriver)


11 comments

  1. We love the Proctor District for walking and enjoying the menagerie of home architecture. Parking at the University of Puget Sound, we may wander down to Wright Park to the Seymour Observatory or Metropolitan Market during our hour walk. Many times we walk past First Pres and are reminded of a special couple's wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Point Defiance Park is absolutely my favorite place in Tacoma! I love running the trails, taking pictures at the rose garden and walking the waterfront path. It really is a wonderful place full of great memories such as taking our kids to Never, Never land, the zoo and playing on the big toy. There is so much to enjoy at the park, let's go sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend pointed me to this blog post. Tacoma is such a great city that gets an unfair reputation. I live in University Place and love it! I agree the Proctor neighborhood and Point Defiance are also great spots to visit in Tacoma. I've never been but I've heard the Lakewold Gardens in Lakewood are very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips Carrie! I love Tacoma too, my husband and I are still thinking about settling down there someday. I will definitely have to check out Proctor, Point Defiance and Lakewold Gardens. Thanks for the comment and tips!

      Delete
  4. p.s. My friend's brother wrote that NY Times article - he's a Tacoma native as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like I need to hit up the Proctor District and Point Defiance! Thanks for all your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little late but worth the trek.

    Walk the Narrows Bridge

    Explore the Washington State History museum next to the city of glass which was recently featured on an episode of "Mysteries at the Museum"

    If over by Chambers Creek stop off at the Chili Thai just off 27th and Bridgeport for the best Thai food in town (take it from a Thai :D)

    Brown's Point Lighthouse is a wonderful place for a summer sunrise over mount rainier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was a young boy living in the Oakland part of Tacoma. I used to hike over the hills to Chambers Creek. It was heavily wooded then and I used to lay on the bank watching the trout. It was a very special place for a young boy. I think it is all gone now, a victim of development. That young boys name was Bill Crawford. When I enrolled in Middle school they asked to see my birth Certificate, My name turned out to be Bill Spicer.... this was in about 1953-4

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was a young boy living in the Oakland part of Tacoma. I used to hike over the hills to Chambers Creek. It was heavily wooded then and I used to lay on the bank watching the trout. It was a very special place for a young boy. I think it is all gone now, a victim of development. That young boys name was Bill Crawford. When I enrolled in Middle school they asked to see my birth Certificate, My name turned out to be Bill Spicer.... this was in about 1953-4

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the "gritty cousin to the south". I have seen so many great changes during the past ten years. I also know Tacoma to be an area where friends are insisting to retire. Although still living in the Seattle area. I really have been apart of Tacomas daily life for now over 10 years. Here is my proof that Tacoma is a very important part of my life. https://maidservicespugetsound.com/tacoma-house-cleaning/

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice post, keep up with this interesting work. It really is good to know that this topic is being covered also on this web site so cheers for taking time to discuss this! radiant diamond manufacturer

    ReplyDelete