A Weekend In: Friday Harbor, San Juan Island


Patrick and I had the pleasure of ticking off one of my summer bucket list items last weekend with a little visit to Friday Harbor on San Juan Island. We woke up early and drove up to Anacortes where we walked onto the ferry for a beautiful hour long journey to FH. We slept at a fabulous little place called the Bird Rock Hotel, just a couple of blocks from the ferry terminal in central Friday Harbor (We stayed in the Sucia Room which I would HIGHLY recommend, great views!).
On Friday afternoon we went out on a little whale watching trip with Captain Justin. Although we didn't spot any orcas (tear) we did see Dall and Harbor Porpoise, Harbor and Stellar Seals, and lots of birds. It was a gorgeous day for boating and we had a blast out on the water. I definitely want to go back and try again to see the whales. 
We enjoyed some tasty seafood in FH, including oysters, salmon, and fish & chips at Downriggers, a hearty breakfast at the Rocky Bay Cafe, and pub fare at the Hungry Clam. I'd love to try out the Market Cafe and Backdoor Kitchen next time we are up there.

Have you been to San Juan Island? What did we miss? Would love to hear your suggestions for next time!

4 comments

  1. Wow- This trip looks so idyllic! Good eats too! I would kill for that milkshake right about now! Yummy!

    xx
    Holly Foxen Wells
    GlamourMash

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun getaway, Friday Harbor is on my list but my husband and I have still never been. Maybe for our anniversary...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What awesome photos! I absolutely love Friday Harbor.

    I'd love to feature this post on our Northwest-based site. Email me for details!

    shondra (at) dwellable (dot) com

    Thanks!
    Shondra

    ReplyDelete