Easy Autumn Chicken Recipe


I was looking for a new recipe to roast a whole chicken and stumbled across this Kitchn recipe for the "Best Chicken Recipe of All Time." AND it comes from Jaime Oliver who is one of my favorites (I was addicted to his cooking shows when we lived in Ireland). So I tried it out on Sunday and I must say it does not disappoint!

It's a pretty unique recipe being that it includes a lot of milk, a cinnamon stick, lemon, garlic and sage, which to me don't necessarily belong together. But it turned out very creamy and filled the house with a lovely fall cinnamon vibe. Patrick loved it and it took me less than 15 minutes to prepare so I will definitely be making it again!

Here is the basic recipe as outlined by The Kitchn:

  1. Brown a whole chicken in copious amounts of olive oil or butter.
  2. Pour in some milk, two lemons' worth of zest, a cinnamon stick, and fresh sage leaves. Scatter in a handful of garlic cloves in their jackets.
  3. Bake for 90 minutes.
  4. Pull apart and eat.

It's really that easy. I baked mine in a cast iron pan uncovered and the top got really crispy which was awesome. I saw the Kitchn recommends baking it covered for a while. I also used whole milk which made it extra creamy but I'm sure 2% would work perfectly.

Happy fall cooking! This is my favorite time of the year to be in the kitchen. 

No comments